Sunday, September 14, 2014

Playing it safe

One thing I've learned about being sidelined with injuries for too long is that listening to my body is more important than sticking to a training plan.  Last weekend I planned on doing an 18 miler but my body was tired and I decided sleep and active rest was more important.  The past few weeks I've been playing in the pool and learning how to swim (with my face in water).  Time goes by quickly in the pool, especially since it's been scorching hot, and many days I've been running and swimming; it clicked that the pool was a better workout than I realized and my body needed some rest.  I ended last week with 30 miles and planned on jumping back into upping my long run mileage this week.  But that did not go as planned and I ended up playing it safe.

After my mid week 9 miler, my ITB flared up and served as a reminder of the importance of getting cozy with my foam roller daily and not skipping my physical therapy strength exercises.  I still planned on doing the 18 miler this weekend but the heat and realization that I had to see how my ITB held up before barreling ahead with my training plan squashed that.  Instead, today I slept in a little bit until 6:30am and then left with a goal of 10 miles; my ITB felt okay so I tacked on additional miles and ended the run at 14 miles.  While it was not according to plan, it was playing it safe and listening to my body.  Maybe I am learning something from all my injuries....

This upcoming week calls for more time in the pool, partly to survive the 100 degree temps expected and partly to continue working on improving my swim stroke, and listening to my body during each run.

No comments:

Post a Comment